We are committed to complying with Australia’s privacy laws, and in particular the Australian Privacy Principles (the APPs). The APPs are designed to protect your privacy by controlling how your personal information is handled when you provide it to other people, like us. Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (for example, your name and address).
Information we collect
The types of information we collect depends on how you use our products and services.
Users of our websites
We may collect information relating to your usage of our websites, including the pages that you view, when you visit our websites and for how long, and any referring website’s address. We also collect your IP address and information about the device you have visited our websites with, including the operating system, browser type and language setting of the device. Our websites contain links to websites owned and operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties and you should read their privacy policies before using their websites.
If you are a Powershop customer or prospective customer, in addition to the website usage information described above, we may collect your full name, your date of birth, your address (including any separate mailing address), email address, telephone number, concession details (if applicable), health information (if applicable, for example if life support equipment is used at your address), payment details, ABN (if applicable) and other financial and credit related information. We may also collect information about the property we supply energy or other services to, including the energy consumption at the property, and any services or equipment at the property and which are connected to the services we provide you (for example, solar installations) along with other information about our network and services and how you use them.
We may also collect information you provide to us or which is otherwise generated in the course of interacting with us, including:
- information on how you use our mobile application or any other application we make available to you, including the name and brand of your mobile device and its operating system version, screen resolution and unique device key;
- information you provide to us when you contact us regarding our services;
- information you post on our blog or provide through social media or any other platform we make available for your use; and
- information you provide when you respond to our marketing or research requests.
How we collect information from you
We may collect information about you:
- directly from you (for example over the phone or when you complete an application form, see below for more information);
- from our website and mobile applications, social media and other digital platforms, to the extent you use and provide information to them;
- from third parties who are or were involved in the supply of energy to you (such as your distribution company, previous energy provider or metering data provider);
- from third parties who provide services to us (including technology, administrative and operational services) or who provide marketing lists or other information services;
- from our third party sales partners;
- from credit reporting agencies; and
- from our related entities and our white label partners and other business partners.
We may collect information directly from you when you:
- sign up to become a Powershop customer (or partially complete the sign-up process – see Partial Sign-ups below);
- contact us with a query about our services;
- interact with our sales representatives;
- use our mobile application or any other application we make available to you, including our customer live-chat application;
- interact with our website, social media or any technology platform we make available to you;
- apply for a job with us;
- respond to our marketing or research requests; and
- give us your information for any other reason, such as when we have an activation at an event.
If you do not provide, or permit us to collect, all relevant personal information we may not be able to provide you with all of our products and services. Further specific details about how we use certain information may be provided in a dedicated collection statement made available to you at the time that we collect that information.
When we will use your information
We collect and use your personal information and information about your property for the purposes of:
- confirming your identity and fraud prevention;
- supplying you with energy and other services you have requested;
- carrying out credit checks or otherwise assessing your creditworthiness and in relation to credit reporting (see our credit reporting policy for more information);
- creating and managing your account and our products and services;
- communicating with you including responding to your queries and notifying you about changes to our products and services;
- complying with our obligations to you and other third parties involved in the supply of energy to you and your property;
- receiving payments and performing debt collection;
- improving our customer service;
- improving and developing our products and services, including by collecting information that helps us understand how you and our other customers use our services and applications and to track our performance and your interactions with us;
- marketing our products and services;
- governance and compliance including complying with our regulatory and legal obligations;
- assessing the suitability of job applicants for employment;
- providing you with information on our services, or those of our third-party partners;
- exchanging information with related entities, our white label and other business partners and other businesses we work with; and
- performing general business activities in support of providing our services.
We may aggregate and publish information about customer usage of our services, website, mobile and other digital platforms, and your usage information may form part of that aggregate information. However, we will not publish information that can be connected to you or any other customer.
Powershop is the credit provider for customers who purchase energy from our white label partners. Consequently, we will use your personal information, to determine your creditworthiness for products and services offered by or through them.