Switch off the lights, connect with nature and raise awareness about climate change.
First time hearing about Earth Hour? That’s cool, let us enlighten you – or rather, un-lighten you (that’s a word right?) Because it’s basically a ‘lights-out’ event to raise awareness and call for action on climate change. Here at Powershop, we’re all about the preservation of the planet and we love initiatives that support this pledge – after all, there’s no planet B.
To be part of the cause, ‘power down’ from 8.30pm to 9:30pm on Saturday, 30th March 2019 and join millions of people across 190 countries calling for action on climate change.
How to power down:
These are our top tips for powering down safely:
- Remember that you should only power down if it’s safe for you to do so – we care a lot about your wellbeing.
- Turn off all non-essential lights – make sure you can still get around safely in the dark!
- Unplug and turn off your appliances that you are not using at the wall – standby power is a total drainer!
- Do tasks that require energy use at another time – run the dishwasher later, it’s an easy excuse to leave the dirty dishes in the sink.
- Socialise and have great conversations in person rather than sitting on your phone.
- Go for a walk or sit in the park with some friends and stargaze with a drink – don’t say we don’t look after you.
- Check out some of the awesome community events hosted during Earth Hour.
- Before the big event check out your usage tab in the Powershop app. Here you can pinpoint what appliances are draining your power – they’re your prime targets to turn off at the switch during Earth Hour.
Why does Powershop care?
We have a genuine interest in what happens to Mother Earth, that’s why:
- Our parent company, Meridian Energy, only generates energy using renewable assets – wind and hydro.
- We believe in innovative measures to support the environment, like our Curb Your Power program (imagine a state based and coordinated ‘Earth Hour’ to reduce peak demand on the electricity grid.)
- We belong to the Energy Charter, progressing the culture and solutions required to deliver a more affordable, reliable and sustainable energy system for all Australians.
- We 100% carbon offset our customers energy usage at no extra cost to them, because it’s important to minimise our carbon footprint and support the planet.
Cool! We think our customers are a pretty conscientious bunch – we’re not surprised that you want to make a stand on climate change and support Mother Earth.
To get you in the mindset we’ll also be posting to our socials to give you a friendly reminder to take part. Please disregard if you’re hosting a rad dinner party or are involved in a serious movie marathon (yes Netflix, we are still watching.)
Following Earth Hour our awesome data analysts will crunch some big ticket numbers to see how many Powershoppers flicked their switches over the hour! And remember, if you want to get involved but you can’t, don’t worry! Just by being a Powershop customer you have the power to make every hour count with our 100% carbon offsetting.
Read next: MARDI GRAS – that’s a wrap!
Read previous: Meridian Energy & University of Melbourne receive $2.1 million grant to improve forecasting at wind farms