* This promotion has some terms and conditions
Charge Force – A Powershop Virtual Power Plant
Powershop is thrilled to launch our new Virtual Power Plant (VPP) plan ‘Charge Force’
If you’ve got a compatible battery and join Charge Force, you will be virtually connected with other participating Powershop customers. Your battery will be activated when the cost of electricity spikes or when demand for electricity is sky high, like on those hot summer days when everyone is using their air cons.
By joining Charge Force, you can help our entire electricity system by taking pressure off the grid. Plus, joining is great for your wallet because on top of your solar feed-in tariff, you receive power credits every time your battery is discharged to the grid– meaning you could save even more on your power bill.
How your power credits are calculated
The amount of credit you receive will depend on the electricity spot price at the time your battery is discharged. This credit will be calculated at the higher of the Fixed Rate or 50% of the electricity spot price above $300 per MWh up to the Max Rate^ (as set out in the table below).
This means you will receive a minimum payment of the Fixed Rate for every kWh discharged from your battery (plus your normal feed in tariff), but can capitalise on the times when electricity wholesale prices are high.
The table below shows the range that you can be paid for every kWh discharged from your battery.
Not sure who your distributor is? Click here to find your distributor based on your postcode.
|Distributor||Fixed Rate ($/kWh)||Max Rate ($/kWh) ^|
|CitiPower||0.253 +12c FIT||6.95 +12c FIT|
|Jemena||0.257 +12c FIT||6.95 +12c FIT|
|United Energy||0.291 +12c FIT||6.95 +12c FIT|
|Powercor||0.265 +12c FIT||6.95 +12c FIT|
|Ausnet||0.304 +12c FIT||6.95 +12c FIT|
|SA Power Networks||0.277 +10.2c FIT||6.95 +10.2c FIT|
|^Max Rate is calculated by taking 50% of the peak electricity spot price over $300/MWh.|
Still not sure how it works?
Energy generated by your Solar system is stored in your batteries.
On days when there is high demand (very hot/cold day) your batteries will be activated remotely and the energy sent to the grid!
This helps to ease the demand and helps to avoid blackouts. Your solar system is helping to power the community!
PLUS, on top of your solar feed-in-tariff you may receive credits to reward you for being in the program.
What's a Feed-in Tariff? Click here to learn more
Shinehub is a ‘solar market place’ that offers solar, batteries and VPP solutions. They have a range of battery sizes available that are eligible to join Charge Force.
Frequently asked questions
- Why should I join?
- Get power credits applied to your Powershop account.
- Help take pressure off the grid when electricity prices and demand are high.
- Be part of a community that helps you save even more and has an impact on your power bill (and the planet).
- Will I still receive my solar feed-in tariff?
- Yes. You will still continue to receive your solar feed-in tariff as normal. The credit is an additional bonus for being part of the VPP.
- When are you likely to discharge my battery and for how many times per year?
- Your battery is likely to be discharged when the wholesale prices of electricity are high or at times of high demand on the grid. These often happen on extremely hot days when people are blasting their air cons. While it’s difficult to forecast the number of times these events will occur, we estimate we will need to use your battery between 50 to 75 hours per year, with each occasion likely to be less than 4 hours at a time.
- What batteries are currently compatible with Charge Force?
- Currently, all of the Alpha ESS ECO and SMILE series inverter/battery packages are compatible with the Charge Force. We are building compatibility with additional inverter and battery systems, so that more people can join in the future. Watch this space!
- Do I have to participate?
- No – you can be a Powershop electricity customer without participating in Charge Force. If you choose to participate in the trial, you’re free to leave the VPP at any time. You just need to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will finalise your removal from the VPP within 72 hours of receipt of your email.