Why does Powershop exist?
Who are we?
Powershop was launched to turn the Australian energy industry on its head - putting customers and the environment first. We currently have over 120,000 customers across Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and South East Queensland, with our sights set on a brighter and greener future for all.
What’s our purpose?
It’s what guides everything we do. From the way we treat our customers and fight hard to keep power prices low for them, to pushing for policy change at government level and especially to being the only power company in Australia that is accredited 100% carbon neutral – it’s all part of our mission
How do we carry out our purpose?
Our team live and breathe three key values that guide how we work as a company and as key members of society.
Be Good Humans
do the right thing for others and the environment.
At Powershop, we know our industry is not portrayed in the best light and the frustrations of Australian energy consumers have often fallen on deaf ears. The future of the industry needs to change to put energy consumers first and create a better energy future for us all. That’s where we come in.
- From the beginning, we have promoted transparency for our customers including our industry-leading app that ultimately encourages our customers to use less of what we’re selling.
- We make it our mission to treat customers fairly. There’s no punishing you for staying loyal to us - in fact, we love to reward customers for their loyalty.
- We 100% carbon offset all of the energy use at our customers’ homes and businesses at no extra cost to our customers because it’s the right thing to do by the environment. We also offset all our own business operations (but that’s a given and a bit easier when you only generate renewable energy).
- We have policies in place to protect and support customers experiencing life challenges from financial hardship, family violence or the passing of a loved one.
- All our business initiatives and programs have to pass our own ‘mum test’. What’s that we hear you ask? Well, if you don’t feel proud telling your mum (or significant other) about what you’re doing at work, then you probably shouldn’t be doing it. That’s why we don’t do things like door knock anyone’s home or make cold calls – it’s pushy and our mum says it’s just plain inconsiderate.
challenge the status quo even if sometimes it doesn’t win you friends.
We’re a friendly bunch, but we will always try to fight for what’s right, not just what’s popular. We’ll always go in to bat for a better energy future in Australia.
- We are involved in policy making for the energy industry; we have worked hard to have a respected voice at the table to talk renewable and sustainable initiatives for future generations.
- We are continually innovating to find new ways to support the community and the environment. Our demand response program Curb Your Power helps ease the strain on the grid during peak demand. Our Your Community Energy initiative supports Australian groups, charities and philanthropic businesses to make a positive impact on our communities and the environment. While our Your Neighbourhood Solar program offers a unique take on supporting our solar customers and Better Solar provides access (not just for Powershop customers) to a free solar advisory service. It’s these innovations and more that empower our staff to be the voice of our brand.
Be in the Waka
(it’s a New Zealand canoe) and paddle hard together.
Creating a better energy future requires a huge amount of team work across our business, including our teams based in head office, to those running our renewable energy sites and extending to customers and community groups.
- We work with our customers to fight climate change together. Our aim is to always put more renewable energy into the grid than our customers actually use. This means that as more people join Powershop, we can continue to further invest in renewables to match our growing customer base. So, with our customers we’re a team working together to help protect the environment.
- We’re one of the original signatories to the first ever Energy Charter, which is focused on embedding customer-centric culture and conduct in energy businesses across the supply chain to create better outcomes for customers.
- Our executive team (including our CEO) has a roster to monitor social media over the weekend and Live Chat during weekdays. This keeps executive management and leaders close to customers and often inspires innovation in customer service.
- We commit to developing our staff’s skills in areas of interest as they discover them, investing in their continuing professional development to unlock their full potential in the business and within themselves.