How does electricity get to my property?
Here’s what it takes to get electricity to your power point.
1. Generation: electricity is generated by generators across the country from coal, gas, wind, water and the sun. Meridian Energy Limited (our parent company) generates renewable energy from two wind farms and three hydro stations and purchases renewable energy from an additional two wind farms under power purchase agreements.
2. Transformer: once generated, electricity is sent through transformers to increase the voltage so it can travel long distances across large transmission lines.
3. National Electricity Market: electricity is then sent across the National Electricity Market, which is made up of around 40,000km of transmission lines and cables.
4. Substation:the electricity then reaches a substation and the voltage is lowered so it can be sent to smaller power lines.
5. Distribution: electricity travels through this ‘network’ of distribution power lines managed by your distribution company, the voltage is lowered again, and the power arrives at your property.
6. Meter and house: after passing through your electricity meter so that your usage can be measured, the electricity travels through your property’s wiring to power your power points and appliances.