We’re all having to spend more time at home, and that means our energy usage is likely to change. We want to help make sure Australian households are using their energy efficiently, as small actions at home can have a big impact on household finances.
The Powershop App.
If you don't know where and when your household is using energy, it's difficult to prioritise actions that might reduce your costs. The best way to manage your energy use is to measure and track it.
- Get to know your energy bill. Understanding your energy bill will help you to assess your energy use patterns and levels so you can begin to make changes and savings
- Make sure you have the Powershop app downloaded so you can track your usage daily to manage your costs and your usage behaviours. You can also use the online tools available in your account.
- If you don’t have a smart meter you can get in touch or send us a request and we can help with that too (often for free), and in the meantime enter your meter readings on your app. A smart meter will give you intervals of 30-minute data to keep you across your home usage.
There are a few simple things you can do right now to help reduce your energy bills:
- Turn off appliances at the wall rather than leaving them on standby;
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room;
- Wait for a full load of washing before turning the washing machine on and make sure the wash is on cold;
- Dry clothes in the sun on the clothesline rather than in the dryer, if possible;
- Set your thermostat for between 18-20* during winter;
Check out some other energy efficiency tips and tricks.
How much could I save?
As a guide, Energy.gov.au suggests that the following simple actions could save a household of 4 about $760 a year.
- Getting rid of a second fridge could save around $172 a year.
- Switching off the game console after use could save up to $193 a year.
- Using the clothesline once a week instead of using the dryer could save around $79 a year
- Installing a water-efficient 4-star showerhead could save around $315 a year on water bills, there will also be savings on energy bills because less water will need to be heated.
We know every situation is different, so we have a number of ways we can help and assist with changes in your circumstances as a result of COVID-19.
Stuck with your kids at home?
Teach them the importance of energy efficiency with our digital kids book.
Power you can be proud of, is power that puts you in control.
Start the switch to Powershop today