Analyst – Energy Markets
Position Accountabilities – What are you responsible for?
The purpose of this role is to assist in the management of energy markets for Meridian Energy Australia in a manner that serves Meridian Energy Australia’s growth objectives.
This role is part of the energy markets team that manage electricity, gas and environmental portfolios for Meridian Energy Australia. The analyst will be part of the team analysing various aspects of MEA’s electricity and gas portfolios and the National Electricity Market (NEM) and East Coast Gas Markets. This position will also be responsible for submitting nominations to gas suppliers and entering forecasts and nominations to AEMO for MEA’s gas and electricity trading activities in these markets.
Specific accountabilities for this role include (but may not be limited to):
MEA Electricity & Gas Market Analysis
General analysis of MEA’s gas, electricity and environmental portfolios which cover Powershop (MEA retail brand), Generation assets and Gas Supply.
- General analysis of National Electricity Market, Declared Wholesale Gas Market and Short-Term Trading Markets.
- Analysis of drivers of supply & demand, generation and competitor bidding behaviour and spot prices.
Providing nominations to suppliers through AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) systems
- Generate and submit forecast demand information and supply bids/offers to AEMO through it dedicated Market Systems.
- This incorporates MEA’s generation assets and gas market activities.
- Recognising this is potentially a “24/7” operation, training and oversight of others performing this task.
- Ensure all work is conducted in a safe and sustainable manner
- Participate in the emergency/system security threat process
Working Relationships – Who are your key contacts?
- Timely provision of critical operational activities (demand, bids etc.)
- Managing operational issues which arise from time to time.
- Attending forums, workshops etc.
Powershop Settlements & Reconciliations
Ensuring accuracy of AEMO and third party volumes and charges.
Wholesale Markets Team
Regular review of market bidding strategies and analysis of forecast performance.
Attributes - What you can bring
Degree in Business, Commerce or Economics
Advanced office skills Word, PowerPoint, Excel
Some understanding of VBA/SQL/Python skills not mandatory but favourable
- Market complexity and data intensity requires exceptional analytical skills
- Real-time market drives the need for rapid and robust Operational Decision Making
- Potential for errors to have a material financial impact requires acute Attention to Detail
- 24/7 operation necessitates strong Self-Management
Who are we?
Powershop is a subsidiary of Meridian Energy Limited (MEL) based in New Zealand and is the retail arm of the Australian business. Meridian Energy operate wind farms in Victoria and South Australia and hydro plants in NSW. The Powershop brand retails energy to customers in Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland.
Get in touch
We would love to hear from you.
Apply by uploading a cover letter and CV to Nicole Speers via email email@example.com.