- Where is Powershop available?
Powershop is currently available in New South Wales, South East Queensland and Victoria. We’re investigating adding other states in the future.
We offer gas in most of Victoria. We're not offering gas in NSW or South East QLD yet, but drop us a line here and we'll let you know if that plan changes.
- How does the switch to Powershop happen?
You don’t need to do anything at all. Just complete the sign up and we’ll take care of the rest. We’ll keep you updated along the way and we’ll inform your old retailer that you’re moving to Powershop.
- How long does it take?
Signing up online is a breeze and takes 5 mins. But if you prefer to talk to a person, give us a call on 1800 462 668 (free call).
It'll typically take between 3 - 4 weeks to switch your supply; we'll update you via email as your switch progresses.
- What is the Powershop experience like?
You can treat Powershop exactly like every other power supplier you’ve had and do nothing differently - we will provide you with power and read your meter too. You do need to set up a direct debit or credit card payment default, and select a day in the month for payment to be made that suits your commitments.
But there is another way and we reckon you’re better off if you login to our online shop and pick up some of the deals and discounts on power that are only available in the shop. Here you can buy as little or as much power as you want, as often as you want. Our Powerpacks come in sizes and prices to suit every budget. It’s failsafe, and it doesn’t matter if you use more than you’ve bought up front. When that happens we’ll buy a pack on your behalf and there are no penalties for paying later. And, just by finding and clicking our Online Saver special in your monthly reminder email, online shop or mobile app you’ll receive an even bigger discount.
- Why Is Powershop (finally) doing gas in Victoria?
There’s a few good reasons:
1. Our customers have been asking us to for a very long time (fact share: it’s the most searched term on our website). 80% of our Victorian customers told us they’d love us to have gas and they would add gas if we had it. We field calls about gas all the time and we know Victorians are looking for a better company for their gas as well as their electricity.
2. Gas is not the most environmentally-friendly fuel source. We are not encouraging the uptake of gas. But we acknowledge gas is a reality in many Victorian homes that can’t necessarily move away from it (however, if you want advice on how to transition your home or business off gas, stay tuned). We take our role in protecting the planet seriously, that’s why we’re choosing to 100% carbon offset our customers’ gas usage. Just as we do with our customers' electricity usage. All at no extra cost to our customers. It’s something we can do to help the planet. It’s not perfect, but it’s the right start. Watch this video to see how we offset electricity and why.
3. We have big goals. We want to move more Australians onto carbon neutral power (at Powershop it’s all done at no extra cost to customers and there’s no opt-in or other barriers). Offering gas in Victoria will help us grow our business. Furthermore, the more we grow, the more we can do for renewable energy in Australia (click here to read about our group’s new hydro power assets and recent power purchase agreements, which we’ve added to our portfolio of two wind farms). We have always stated that we will generate more renewable energy than our customers require. As our customer base grows, this means we need to go out into the market and either build more renewable assets or support renewable energy projects being undertaken by others. Retailing gas allows us to grow our customer base, which in turns allows us to invest in Australia’s renewable future and continue the work we do to clean up Australia’s energy industry. We know that many Australians want to support companies doing the right thing, acting in ethical and transparent ways and protecting the planet. That is us. We’re not perfect, but we have worked very hard to improve the energy industry since we launched – we’re the only power company to be accredited 100% carbon neutral by the Australian government, we do not door knock people’s homes, we’ve actively and vocally campaigned for the RET and energy policy stability in Australia, and much more.
- How is Powershop doing gas better?
As with electricity, the way the gas network operates means it’s impossible to identify the source of gas we deliver to a customer’s property. Because we can’t control where our customers electricity or gas comes from, all the power we sell (gas and electricity) is, and all our operations are, 100% carbon neutral at no extra cost to our customers. We’re doing gas in a way that’s better for our customers and the environment.
- How is 100% carbon neutral gas any better?
100% carbon neutral means we’re able to offset the carbon associated with our customers’ energy usage. This means more initiatives globally and in Australia that provide carbon offsetting. But of course, the best thing you can do for the planet is to use less energy. The Powershop App and online account allow our customers to track their usage and find ways to use less (which helps your wallet and the planet). Check out our energy efficiency tips & tricks here.
- Will you sell gas that’s been fracked?
Much the same as the electricity delivered to people’s homes could come from any generation source, we can’t control the source of gas. All we can control is the work we do behind the scenes to help make things clean and fair and educate customers as to the benefits of, and the ways to get off gas (such as retrofitting homes to remove gas or understanding how to save money by focusing on electricity sources for heating and cooling).
Powershop has always been and always will be anti-coal seam gas (just as we’re anti-coal and anti-unfair pricing to customers). We’ve worked with the likes of GetUp and LockTheGate (among other groups) to campaign against coal seam gas and fracking. Powershop is staunchly anti-coal seam gas and fracking – we do not believe it is necessary as we have an abundance of gas available that doesn’t require fracking.